Going green with a bathroom remodel is a major consideration today for many homeowners. A green bathroom remodel isgoodfor the environment, but it is also good for you because it will save you money on utility bills for years to come. It also might qualify for some rebatesand tax credits. The main opportunities to make your bathroom remodel environmentally friendly are in water conservation and in use of energy for heating/cooling and lighting.
- We will use non-toxic building materials. These materials are better for your family and good for the environment.
- We will use non-toxic insulation derived from materials like soybean or cotton. These are safer to handle andinstall, safer for your family, and good for the environment.
- We will use tropical hardwoods. These are rapidly renewable and protect the environment.
- Wood-based features should come from rapidly renewable sources like cork and bamboo
- Choose voc free (volatile organic compound) paints and sealants. These materials are safer to install, safer for your family (especially if there are children in the home) and better for the environment
- We will purchase and install low-flow faucets and shower heads to reduce the amount of water used. Install an aerator in all faucets. This is a very significant water conservation step.
- Choose and install low-flow or dual-flush toilets. These toilets can function with as little as half the water used by older toilets. Dual-flush toilets offer the choice for a lighter flush or a more thorough flush as needed.
- Choose energy efficient light fixtures and use compact fluorescent bulbs in all light fixtures. You will not need to replace light bulbs as often, and you will use only a fraction of the energy for your lighting needs.
- Use a window and skylight to provide natural light and natural ventilation. This will make your remodeled bathroom lighter and brighter and save energy.
- If the bathroom is some distance from the hot water heater, consider installing a tank-less water heater. If you are installing a whirlpool or soaker tub, install an in-line water heater. This allows you to re-heat the water in the tub, saving both power and water.
If you want to make your bathroom remodel environmentally friendly and energy-efficient, these ten tips will accomplish a great deal. Your new bathroom will be safer, more comfortable, and environmentally responsible.